Saturday, December 01, 2007

A warm study on a blustery day

I’m in my office, Bach playing on my iPod (my kind of study music), a cherry candle burning (I suppose that's my feminine side....), a cup of coffee steaming on my desk, a light snow falling outside my window… my setting is delightful, but what I am doing is even more so.

For the next several hours I get to study. But it’s not for a test or quiz. In fact, it’s ultimately not to write a sermon (which is what I am doing). I get to spend several hours contemplating Jesus as “Wonderful Counselor” (Isaiah 9:6). What a privilege… that God delighted to reveal Jesus as Wonderful Counselor; that God means for me to see and savor and delight in and be nourished by the fact that Jesus is my Wonderful Counselor. And for several hours I get to meditate on this!

And get this… I get paid to do this!!

What a grace of God to allow my heart to see this reality, and that the people I serve give me time to study on their behalf.

May God lead and nourish my soul. And may it burn in me and spill over tomorrow as I try to unpack the riches of this glorious description of my Savior.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home