Monday, February 02, 2009

The beginning of the week

It’s Monday morning, and it’s early (6:00).
The beginning of a day; the beginning of a week.

My responsibilities for the week are great:
- to be faithful to God with all I am, in all I will face; in every situation and in every opportunity; to love Him, delight in Him, take up my cross daily and follow Him
- to love my wife as Christ loved the church – to care for her, nurture her, and do all I can to help her make this week count for eternity
- to shepherd my children; to strategically and prayerfully nurture their faith; to help them overcome sinful tendencies and grow in their love for God and others
- to lead a church; to watch over the souls of every person in the church; to faithfully and joyfully serve the people
- to live out the great commandment and the great commission
- all this and more, along with a thousand other things that will swirl about with each step I take this week

I have all these responsibilities that meet me in my frailties, weaknesses, inadequacies, and sinful tendencies.
From a human standpoint, it looks like it will be a messy week. At the end of this week, there will be success and failure; gratefulness and regret.

It is my week. They are my responsibilities.
Yet, I am not alone in this.
“I will never leave you… I will never forsake you… I am at work in you, to will and do of my good pleasure… I will bless you and keep you and cause my face to shine on you and be merciful and gracious to you…”

Why would I even think to run into this week on my own – neglecting or bypassing what I really need?
Unfortunately, I often do. Fortunately, He is always there keeping my heart soft, guiding me back to him, helping me see the joy of resting in Him.

May God keep my awake to this reality through the week.
Off I go, to spend some quiet time with him before the family rouses. It is here where I will meet Him and will experience His care on my soul.

He is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home