Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Turn off the TV fast - part 3

We are people who live out of our hearts. Jesus said, "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" (Luke 6:45). The heart is what guides and motivates and leads us into action. It has a sway over our will and intellect and emotion. It tells us how to act, what to believe, what to say, how to think, and what to feel.

That puts urgency on what we feed our hearts. The wise sage urged us to, "keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flows the springs of life" (Proverbs 4:23). Phil Johnson said, "The heart is the wellspring of life itself, and if you pollute the fountain, you defile all of life." And this is reason number 3 on why our family is not watching television for at least the month of August.

My proposition would be this: the influence of television, on the whole, is not wholesome or beneficial. Here are some questions that might prove this proposition:
Where do we mostly get exposed to profanity, sex, murder, immodesty, and dirty humor?
What worldview does television promote incessently?
Does not the marketing the drives television encourage coveteousness and greed and discontenment?

We could even ask positive questions:
How often have I been edified in my walk with God in watching television?
Does television teach sacrificial love?
Does your heart get admonished and motivated to love God with all your heart through the watching of television?
Do you find yourself having greater motivation and courage to proclaim the gospel more in the time you are watching television?

My point (and one reason we shut off the television for the month) is this: the influence of television on the heart of my family is not, on the whole, wholesome or beneficial. As one who is responsible for my wife and children's hearts (and my own), I find that the potential for the wellspring of their hearts to be polluted is increased when the television is on.

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Fred, thanks for commenting and interacting with the post. I have always appreciated our discussions. I agree with your thoughts on television being a tool. And I very intentionally said that television, "on the whole" is not wholesome or beneficial.

We can profit from television, as you have. But most people will struggle more from the evil of television than they will profit from the good.

Concerning hypocricy... sure there is a fair share of hypocricy in churches all over the world - even in the best churches. And every believer and every church is going to consistently fall short in obeying the great commandment. This is evil and wrong and must be dealt with both individually and corporately.

Which is precisely why the church should consistently proclaim the great commandment. And this proclamation should not be just to fulfill a duty, but with the intention of proclaiming God's truth, seeing where we fall short, running to him in repentance, confidently depending on Him to change our hearts, and passionately rejoicing in the gospel that brings hope from the Living God.

May God's church both eagerly proclaim and actively pursue the great commandment!

11:04 PM, August 03, 2006  
Blogger David said...

Thanks again, Fred, for your willingness to interact. I have thoughts, and those thoughts need the interaction of my brothers and sisters in Christ for refinement.

Family Life Today encourages a month long fast from television (and they would add other things like video games, internet, etc.) for the purpose of family relational building. What I have blogged about is my own reasons for fasting from television. I'm certain that they would commend a radio fast if that was what kept necessary and needed time away from family. It just so happens that television is the predominant struggle for most people, including myself, which is why I have written on the topic. I don't, in any way, feel as though they are hypocritical.

Hypocricy is a stealth sin that hides itself well from the view of the one who is hypocritical. It happens all the time. I say in one breath, "I love you Lord," and in the next I talk down to my wife. I thank God for my children, and then I react in sinful anger when they interrupt my reading (or television viewing......). I praise God for the gospel, then I weasel my way out of gospel opportunities.

I hate hypocricy. So, what am I to do? I commend to us both to be actively engaging in redemptive ministries to fight against the sin we hate. May our strength be spent not in frustration and anger (which I can slip into easily), but in compassionate and patient ministry to others who are trapped in it, and in battling agaist it in our own lives.

I trust you, as a dear friend, would help me in areas you may see this sin in my own life. And together, may we work God's redemptive mission out in our community of believers and unbelievers.

11:34 AM, August 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home